Marion County Animal Shelter In The Heart of the Bluegrass
1105 Hwy 208, Lebanon, KY 40033
SAT: 9 - NOON
CLOSED: WED. & SUN. & ALL MAJOR HOLIDAYS
Frequently Asked Questions
There is no Spay/Neuter program at the shelter. Please contact your local vet for the procedure. All Shelter animals must be spayed or neutered as part of the adoption process. READ MORE
Adoption and Other Fees:
ADOPTION FEE: $125.00 PER DOG, $60.00 PER CAT (includes spay or neuter and rabies shot from a veterinarian).
MCAS WISH LIST:
We can always use the following donations!
- CAT LITTER (Scoopable and others)
- CANNED DOG AND CAT FOOD
- DRY DOG AND CAT FOOD
- DOG TREATS
- 13 & 43 GAL. TRASH BAGS
- DOG& CAT BEDS
- LAUNDRY DETERGENT
- "SIMPLE GREEN" ALL-PURPOSE CLEANER
- "FABULOSO" ALL PURPOSE CLEANER
- AJAX DISH LIQUID W/ BLEACH
- "EVOLVE" ULTRA CONCENTRATE BLEACH TABLETS
- FRONTLINE FLEA & TICK CONTROL FOR DOGS & CATS
- Q. MICRO CHIPS: Does the Shelter install Micro Chips in animals?
- A. We are not able to do this. If you wish to have one placed in your animal, please call a veterinarian.
- Q.EUTHANIZATION POLICY: Someone told me that you euthanize animals within a short period of time after you receive them. Is this true?
- A. There is no specific time table for euthanization at MCAS it is based on space constraints as well as the overall health of the animal.
MCAS is a county-run facility. We work with the general public and rescue groups all over the country to find homes for as many animals as possible.
PLEASE DO YOUR PART! SPAY OR NEUTER YOUR DOGS AND CATS BEGINNING AT 4 - 6 MONTHS OLD.
TOO BUSY TO COME IN?
Next time your order from Amazon.com,
add items for donation! You can have them sent directly to the shelter.
- Q.VOLUNTEERS: Do you have avolunteer program?
- A. Several years ago we did have volunteer assistance but as you read this we do not have any programs for volunteers or any plans to reinstate this in the future.
- Q. RACCOONS, POSSUMS, GROUND HOGS, ETC., I have these on my property causing damage. Can you come and trap it?
- A. These types of creatures are considered "NUISANCE WILDLIFE" and must be handled by a completely different type of animal control specialist. Sorry, we are only licensed to handle DOMESTIC ANIMALS. You may also call State Dispatch or If you see a WILD ENDANGERED animal in distress (Hawk, Eagle, etc).(270) 384-4796
- Q. Can I BRING MY CHILDREN OR MY OWN PET in to see how they might interact with an animal before adoption?
- A. YES! We welcome families and their children of any age and/or a their well behaved pet to come in and socialize with an animal here that you wish to adopt.
- Q. Are you a HUMANE SOCIETY?
- A. No, MCAS is not a Humane Society. We are a County Animal Shelter. Humane Societies are almost always "no kill" facilities whereas Animal Shelters do euthanize depending on time and space needs or when absolutely necessary. We consider ourselves a "low kill" shelter.
When to Call:
- LOST AND FOUND: You lost your animal or found an animal whose owner can not be located.
- DANGEROUS ANIMAL: Life or property is being threatened by an animal.
- ANIMAL WELFARE: You see or strongly suspect that an animal is in danger or being subjected to cruelty. All info is confidential.
Who We Serve:
Our Animal Control Officers serve residents of Marion
County, Kentucky only but the Lebanon facility houses animals from both Marion and neighboring,
Washington County. WASHINGTON COUNTY HAS ITS OWN ANIMAL CONTROL OFFICER. WASHINGTON COUNTY RESIDENTS CALL: (859) 805-1617 or (859) 336-3815.
Visit our shelter and you might just find your next, best friend !